The Lyco Lowdown: An Insider's View of Life at Lycoming

Fourteen Weeks

Posted by Dellon Jones on May 10, 2017 2:14:50 PM

The college academic year is divided into two semesters. Two fourteen week periods where students schedule their classes and choose which classes they actually attend or not. It’s a lot different from high school, which, for the most part, keep students in mostly the same classes throughout the year, save for a few interchangeable electives. I think the division of the year into semesters is one of the key things that differentiate high school and college. A semester can really fly by - after all, it is only 14 weeks.

Read More

Topics: Insider, Student Life, Freshman Year, Academics

Deciding to Double-Major

Posted by Hedy Gerace on May 10, 2017 1:51:31 PM
Read More

Topics: Student Life, Applying to College, Freshman Year, Liberal Arts Education, Academics

A List of Things to Take With You to College

Posted by Dellon Jones on May 10, 2017 1:33:53 PM
Read More

Topics: Insider, Student Life, Applying to College, Freshman Year, Academics

Opportunity

Posted by Amanda Goulden on Mar 7, 2017 3:00:00 PM

"When opportunity knocks, don't let fear hold you back. Open the door and embrace the opportunity that has come forth." - Anonymous  

Read More

Topics: Student Life, Freshman Year, Campus Activities

Eight Things I Learned During My First Semester at Lycoming College

Posted by Bryan Manoo on Feb 6, 2017 4:00:00 PM

In one of my previous blogs, you may have read how moving to Lycoming College has been a journey of adaptation for me. From discovering the American culture to experiencing my first snow, from taking a class on the US Govt. and Politics to enjoying my first Thanksgiving break, and from leaving my country to making new friends at Lycoming, I would say that I had a great fall semester. As an international student, I learned many things throughout the fall semester, and in this blog I would like to share some of them with you.

Read More

Topics: Student Life, Freshman Year, International Student Experience

My First Semester at Lycoming College

Posted by Bryan Manoo on Dec 28, 2016 3:08:38 PM

On the 20th of August, after 24 hours of flight to reach the JFK airport and a five-hour drive to reach Williamsport, I arrived at Lycoming for the first time.

Read More

Topics: Freshman Year, International Student Experience

My Freshman Music Seminar

Posted by Amanda Goulden on Dec 12, 2016 1:19:35 PM

As a freshman, one class that you are required to take is a First Year Seminar (FYS). There are many different seminars that all focus on different topics. The choices include history, math, the sciences, music (what I am in), and many more.

Read More

Topics: Freshman Year, Liberal Arts Education, Academics, Community Based Learning

Nine Things Only International Students Can Relate To

Posted by Bryan Manoo on Nov 30, 2016 9:45:00 AM

If you’re an international student in the United States of America, you must have gone through some of the situations that I have been through. As an international student, I was thrilled at the possibility to come to the United States to study and was more thrilled to form part of the Warriors community at Lycoming College. My integration to Lycoming College was not difficult. We arrived one week before classes begin and we have the opportunity to attend an orientation session to better acclimate us to the school environment. Moreover, because of the small community here, we get to know many people who make Lycoming our second home. The college is always making sure that international students feel at home and have a good college experience. However, there are some moments that only international students can relate to.

Read More

Topics: Study Abroad, Student Life, Freshman Year

10 Things I Learned Freshman Year

Posted by Sophie Herzing on Nov 29, 2016 4:05:00 PM

My freshman year was one of the most exciting, thrilling, devastating, crazy, and inspiring years of my life to date. I met some of my best friends in the world who I still cherish now. I started to really delve into my major and the projects I wanted to start. I learned a lot about who I was, but I also made a ton of mistakes. Here are the things I learned:

Read More

Topics: Student Life, Freshman Year

The Comfort Zone

Posted by Mikayla Feldbauer on Nov 29, 2016 12:00:00 PM

Unlike the dreaded "friend zone," the comfort zone is a place in which people typically enjoy spending time. This is certainly true for me, my comfort zone being math and science. However, as the saying goes, it is good to get out of your comfort zone every once in a while.

Read More

Topics: Freshman Year, Liberal Arts Education

Stay Connected!

The Lycoming College community is vibrant and fast-paced, and our students are as busy as ever! Subscribe below for weekly email updates on:

• Study Abroad Trips
  • Campus Activities
  • Athletics
  • Community Engagement
  • Admissions Tips
  • And much more!

Subscribe to Email Updates

Recent Posts