The Lyco Lowdown: An Insider's View of Life at Lycoming

A Student Abroad Transitioning Back to Lycoming Campus Life

Posted by Julia Suchanek on Mar 6, 2017 7:00:00 PM

After studying abroad for a semester, coming back to the workload and social life of school is always tough. As a junior, my classes are becoming much harder and focused towards my degree, and being thrown into everything after a semester abroad is challenging both emotionally and physically. Before I went abroad, the travel coordinator explained to me what “reverse culture shock” is, and at the time I did not think anything of it. Reverse culture shock is when someone returns from living abroad, having been immersed in another culture for a long period of time, and has a tough time getting back into the swing of things at home. When I was told this, I actually thought the opposite: I would love being back surrounded by busy work and all of my friends. But it’s not until you experience it that you face reality. Thankfully, with the help of my professors, advisors and peers I have been able to overcome the reverse culture shock.

Read More

Topics: Study Abroad, Student Life, Greek Life

Finding Myself in My Fraternity

Posted by Jack Ryan Clark on Dec 9, 2016 10:27:00 AM

In high school, I participated in three different sports and somehow found time to be involved in every group. However, I never felt comfortable or accepted amongst a group of guys until I met the ones who I now refer to as the brothers of my fraternity, Lambda Chi Alpha.

Read More

Topics: Greek Life

Smashing Pumpkins on a Sunday

Posted by Jack Ryan Clark on Nov 28, 2016 12:00:00 PM

On November 6th, the brothers of Lambda Chi Alpha held their first annual “Great Pumpkin Bash” on the newly named Fultz Quad!

Read More

Topics: Greek Life, Community

Why I Joined My Sorority

Posted by Kaitlyn Hipple on Oct 19, 2016 3:00:00 PM

As fall activity continues amongst the fraternities and sororities on campus, I often reflect on my decision to become a sister of Alpha Xi Delta. I joined AXiD the fall semester of my sophomore year and I can honestly say now as a year has gone by that joining this beautiful sisterhood is one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I do acknowledge that Greek Life is not for everyone, but I myself was one of those people who always said that I could never imagine myself joining a sorority.  After starting my time at Lycoming, I fell in love with these strong, powerful women who I am now blessed to call my sisters.

Read More

Topics: Student Life, Greek Life