The Lyco Lowdown: An Insider's View of Life at Lycoming

Honors Societies at Lycoming College

Posted by Montana Crossman on May 30, 2017 11:08:40 AM

You may remember an honor society from your high school, either local or national, or you may have even been in the honor society. Here at Lycoming, and at most colleges across the nation as well, there is not one singular honors society, but around twenty-two different societies, usually based on discipline. These honor societies are usually chapters (local divisions) of the larger honors society. So, for example, the Lycoming College chapter of the national Religious and Theology Studies Honors Society (Theta Alpha Kappa) is named Alpha Theta Gamma.

Read More

Topics: Liberal Arts Education, Academics, Career Advice

Wenn ein Warrior einen Berliner trifft

Posted by Nam Do on May 22, 2017 10:33:25 AM
Read More

Topics: Study Abroad, Student Life, Liberal Arts Education, International Student Experience

Columbinus Project

Posted by Briana Burley-Inners on May 22, 2017 9:08:22 AM
Read More

Topics: Student Life, Campus Activities, Liberal Arts Education, Current Events

Deciding to Double-Major

Posted by Hedy Gerace on May 10, 2017 1:51:31 PM
Read More

Topics: Student Life, Applying to College, Freshman Year, Liberal Arts Education, Academics

Picking the Professor

Posted by Briana Burley-Inners on May 10, 2017 10:27:00 AM

The art department here at Lycoming is currently interviewing for a new Photography professor to fill the full-time position. Lycoming values the opinions of the students and has allowed students majoring in art to join the interview process with the three candidates over breakfast or lunch to talk with them about the position and determine who will receive it

Read More

Topics: Insider, Liberal Arts Education

smART Day One

Posted by Schai Bilger on May 10, 2017 9:10:10 AM

smART is a series of one-hour art lessons that are facilitated by the future art educators in the Art History 310 course. The program was offered to any local students grades K-12 that are in public, private, or homeschooled. This is the first semester that Lycoming has held such an event for the students to practice teaching art to other students and has been well received throughout the Lycoming community. Surprisingly, registration for this event filled up in less than a day of it being available! As we started planning for this event, we were shocked by the number of people who want this type of program!

Read More

Topics: Student Life, Liberal Arts Education, Academics, Community Based Learning

Lost in the Realm of Possibilities

Posted by Nam Do on May 9, 2017 10:24:23 AM

Read More

Topics: Study Abroad, Student Life, Liberal Arts Education, Academics, International Student Experience

Photography

Posted by Briana Burley-Inners on Mar 8, 2017 3:21:32 PM

As a student with a concentration in commercial design, I am required to take certain art courses to complete my degree, including a photography course. Photography I is a black and white photography course where students learn to manually control and adjust their 35mm Single Lens Reflective (SLR) camera to take photos. Prior to this course, I only ever used my Canon, which is digital and did all the work for me even though I had a decent idea of what I was doing. However, photography is a complex art, and in Photo 1 I learned all of the following skills and plenty more!

Read More

Topics: Student Life, Liberal Arts Education, Academics

Reflecting on My Philosophy Class

Posted by Bryan Manoo on Feb 22, 2017 2:19:27 PM

Since I arrived at Lycoming College one week before classes start, my choice was somewhat restricted when I was choosing classes for my fall semester as a freshman. Some of classes that I intended to enroll into were already full, but my academic adviser was patient to find classes that would fit my schedule and my interest.  And this is how I ended up in my Introduction to Political Philosophy class.  

Read More

Topics: Liberal Arts Education, Academics

The Political Binary

Posted by Montana Crossman on Feb 17, 2017 5:00:00 PM

Our world is filled with binaries. Some we barely notice, taking them as they are presented to us. But others are overwhelmingly apparent, such as the current great division between Democrats and Republicans in America. However, despite the pressure Americans feel to choose between these two, republicans and democrats do not represent all of America.

Read More

Topics: Liberal Arts Education, Current Events