The Lyco Lowdown: An Insider's View of Life at Lycoming

Wenn ein Warrior einen Berliner trifft

Posted by Nam Do on May 22, 2017 10:33:25 AM
Read More

Topics: Study Abroad, Student Life, Liberal Arts Education, International Student Experience

When a Warrior meets a Berliner

Posted by Nam Do on May 22, 2017 10:33:09 AM

It has been three months since I moved to Berlin. Life was not so easy at first, but I have now gotten used to it. The city is certainly much different from Williamsport, the home of Lycoming College. There have been so far some aspects which I like and also those that I do not enjoy as much, but I would like to talk about all of them either way, because –who knows –maybe one day you will also decide to study abroad in Germany.

Read More

Topics: Study Abroad, Student Life, Academics, International Student Experience

Lost in the Realm of Possibilities

Posted by Nam Do on May 9, 2017 10:24:23 AM

Read More

Topics: Study Abroad, Student Life, Liberal Arts Education, Academics, International Student Experience

Lycoming named to Princeton Review's Best 382

Posted by Dr. Kent Trachte on Apr 25, 2017 4:03:02 PM

I am delighted to share the exciting news that Lycoming College has been selected as one of the newest additions to the Best 382 Colleges list published by the Princeton Review. In particular, the August 2018 edition, which will be available in August 2017, will feature Lycoming as one of six new schools receiving the Best 382 designation. This designation means that the Princeton Review regards Lycoming College as among the “cream of the crop” of undergraduate institutions in America.

Read More

Topics: Insider, Study Abroad, Applying to College, Campus Activities, Academics, Residential Life, Current Events, International Student Experience, Community

A Student Abroad Transitioning Back to Lycoming Campus Life

Posted by Julia Suchanek on Mar 6, 2017 7:00:00 PM

After studying abroad for a semester, coming back to the workload and social life of school is always tough. As a junior, my classes are becoming much harder and focused towards my degree, and being thrown into everything after a semester abroad is challenging both emotionally and physically. Before I went abroad, the travel coordinator explained to me what “reverse culture shock” is, and at the time I did not think anything of it. Reverse culture shock is when someone returns from living abroad, having been immersed in another culture for a long period of time, and has a tough time getting back into the swing of things at home. When I was told this, I actually thought the opposite: I would love being back surrounded by busy work and all of my friends. But it’s not until you experience it that you face reality. Thankfully, with the help of my professors, advisors and peers I have been able to overcome the reverse culture shock.

Read More

Topics: Study Abroad, Student Life, Greek Life

Five Reasons to Study Abroad in Madrid, Spain

Posted by Julia Suchanek on Jan 23, 2017 3:53:07 PM

If you are thinking about taking advantage of studying abroad while at college, Madrid might just be the place for you. Here’s five reasons why:

Read More

Topics: Study Abroad

In America, Don't Talk Big

Posted by Nam Do on Dec 8, 2016 2:15:00 PM

Based on a real story, this excerpt examines the psychological process of an international student's adjustment to the American "small talk" culture.

Read More

Topics: Study Abroad

Studying Abroad at Estudio Sampere in Madrid, Spain

Posted by Julia Suchanek on Dec 6, 2016 10:00:00 AM

Studying abroad anywhere in the world is an amazing experience. You get to live in a new country while studying at the same time. I decided to come to Madrid in Spain because I wanted to further my education in Spanish and I wanted to live in a city atmosphere (an added bonus: I got to come with my friend Kaitlyn). Luckily for Spanish students who want to study abroad, the Spanish department at Lycoming College has a good relationship with a school called Estudio Sampere. The best thing about Sampere is that they have multiple schools in Spain, Ecuador, and Cuba, so Spanish students have a wide range of possibilities. After 14 weeks of studying abroad in Spain, I can see why Lycoming decided to partner with Estudio Sampere because the schools do have a lot of similarities along with some differences.

Read More

Topics: Study Abroad, Liberal Arts Education

Nine Things Only International Students Can Relate To

Posted by Bryan Manoo on Nov 30, 2016 9:45:00 AM

If you’re an international student in the United States of America, you must have gone through some of the situations that I have been through. As an international student, I was thrilled at the possibility to come to the United States to study and was more thrilled to form part of the Warriors community at Lycoming College. My integration to Lycoming College was not difficult. We arrived one week before classes begin and we have the opportunity to attend an orientation session to better acclimate us to the school environment. Moreover, because of the small community here, we get to know many people who make Lycoming our second home. The college is always making sure that international students feel at home and have a good college experience. However, there are some moments that only international students can relate to.

Read More

Topics: Study Abroad, Student Life, Freshman Year

Traveling to the Shaw Festival

Posted by Briana Burley-Inners on Nov 14, 2016 11:18:20 AM

You see, I have never been abroad. Prior to college, I had only ever been to Disney in Orlando, Florida and Boston, Massachusetts. All of the history in that city left me at a loss for words. I adore architecture and history and so the historical district was like a gold mine to me. Then this summer, I got to travel west for the first time to Illinois with my family to see my brother during his internship with State Farm. Travelling to new places is becoming one of my favorite things, especially now that I have my Canon to capture photographs and videos. I’ve never been out of the country, that is until this fall.

Read More

Topics: Study Abroad, Academics